Become A Connection Companion
- As a Connection Companion you will be matched with one of our members to establish and enriching one on one relationship. Your time given to one of our members will have a huge impact on the quality of life for that person.
- Although many people with disabilities are able to live in the community. Enjoyment of and friendships in community are elusive beyond that paid caregiver or family member. Nearly 50% of people with disabilities do not participate in any sort of social, leisure or sporting events. The percentage increases for those where the life impact of their disability is more significant.
- As a Connection Companion, you will be matched with someone of similar interests who is looking for someone with whom to spend time. You can hang out, play games and enjoy movies or other community activities. Click on this link to meet some of the folks looking for a companion.
- Complete the volunteer form and check the box for Connection Companion
- The Volunteer Manager will contact you and set up a time to meet
- Once a potential Member has been identified, the Volunteer Manager will arrange a “meet and greet”
- At the meet and greet, if all goes well, you and the member (and care provider/guardian if appropriate) will decide when and how to get started and will agree on basic days and times.
- Prior to spending time with the member, you will receive training deemed appropriate for the safety, well being and enjoyment of the member.
- As the relationship evolves, you and the member can adjust your schedules accordingly
Connection Companion Requirements:
- Connection Companions should be willing to commit to at least 6 months as a companion
- Connection Companions must be able to pass a criminal background check
- Connection Companions must participate in required training.
Benefits of becoming a Connection Companion: You will get to know an amazing person, with their own story, passion and interests. More importantly, you will have a huge and lasting impact on the life of a person with a significant disability. Our members truly love to interact with others and will enjoy getting to know you.
To get started please contact Landon Cole:
214.351.2500 ext 2255
Ability Connection Member Name: Debbie W.
Debbie Lives in: Dallas, Texas 75229 Zip Code
Debbie’s Interests/Hobbies: Debbie loves to color and draw pictures of flowers. She also loves shopping trips to Dollar Tree. On the weekends she loves binge watching the Hallmark Channel.
What Debbie is seeking in a companion: Someone to spend time with her chatting or watching her favorite shows on TV. Someone to take her out into the community.
Time Commitment Needed From Companion: Debbie is available after 4:30pm most weekdays and most every weekend. Weekends are the best time for visiting Debbie, as she rarely has plans and loves to socialize when she’s not at school or work. 2 or more hours a month would be ideal. A few short calls to check-in between visits would be great as well.
Debbie is a sweet, kind lady with a big heart. She loves to make new friends and help people when she can. The pure joy that beams from Debbie when she smiles is contagious. The simplest things bring Debbie satisfaction and delight; whether it be an ice cream cone, Dollar Store shopping spree, or just someone’s company while she’s watching her favorite TV shows.
Ability Connection Member Name: Marcus B.
Marcus Lives in: Dallas, Texas 75220 Zip Code
Marcus’s Interests/Hobbies: Marcus loves listening to music and going to concerts. He is a real “people person” and loves participating in activities in the community.
What Marcus is seeking in a companion: Someone he can share his story with and talk about life. Someone who is active and loves to be out and about.
Time Commitment Needed From Companion: Marcus is pretty flexible, so whenever your schedule allows would be great. Usually he is available weekday evenings and weekends unless he has prior plans. 2 or more hours a month for in person visits would excellent. Texts and/or calls in between visits would be great as well.
Marcus loves interacting with others and forging new friendships. He has never met a stranger and is the true definition of a “Social Butterfly”. He is funny, bold, brave and inspiring with his approachable, gregarious demeanor and positive outlook on life. But don’t let this extroverted exterior fool you; Marcus is also an incredibly empathetic, loyal, caring person who is sensitive to other’s feelings.
Ability Connection Member Name: Jimmie P.
Jimmie Lives in: Richardson, Texas 75081 Zip Code
Jimmie’s Interests/Hobbies: Jimmie loves watching TV; cartoons especially. He loves dining, whether it’s going for a meal outside the home or just eating a meal at home.
What Jimmie is seeking in a companion: Someone he can spend time with, both in his residence and in the community.
Time Commitment Needed From Companion: Jimmie is usually available weekday evenings and most every weekend. 2 or more hours a month for in person visits would excellent. Most all of the interaction with the Connection Companion should be in person, as Jimmie does not use words to communicate and doesn’t communicate over the phone.
Although Jimmie does not use words to communicate, he has his own version of sign language that he communicates. He enjoys having company at his house, especially on the weekends when he is most times just relaxing and watching his favorite movies or TV shows.
Ability Connection Member Name: David M.
David Lives in: Garland, Texas 75043 Zip Code
David’s Interests/Hobbies: David loves watching any and all sporting events. His all-time favorite sports team is The Dallas Cowboys. He loves having people around him, has a great sense of humor and loves to flirt with the ladies.
What David is seeking in a companion: Someone he can spend time with, mainly at his residence. Football season is especially good, as David watches as much Football as he can.
Time Commitment Needed From Companion: David is available weekday evenings and most every weekend. 2 or more hours a month for in-person visits would be great. Most all of the interaction with the Connection Companion should be in person, as David does not use words to communicate and uses a wheelchair to move around, so visits to his residence are the easiest to facilitate.
Although David does not use words to communicate, he understands what you’re saying and replies with facial gestures (sticking out his tongue, blinking, etc.) He enjoys having company at his house to hang out with, especially if there is a sporting event on TV.
Ability Connection Member Name: Alvin M.
Alvin Lives in: Richardson, Texas 75081 Zip Code
Alvin’s Interests/Hobbies: Alvin loves watching most sporting events, especially football. He is a diehard Dallas Cowboys fan and never misses watching a game. He has got great taste in music (old school R & B, Soul, etc.). Most days you can find him listening to his CD collection; whether it be Marvin Gaye, Sam Cooke, or even some James Brown.
What Alvin is seeking in a companion: Someone he can spend time and interact with. Football season is especially good, as Alvin loves to watch a good football game. Listening to and talking about music with him is a favorite of his as well.
Time Commitment Needed From Companion: Alvin is available weekday evenings and weekends that he doesn’t go to visit his family. 2 or more hours a month for in-person visits would be great, with perhaps a phone call throughout the week.
Alvin is an easy going, fun loving guy. He collects and loves watches and music CDs. In turn, music CDs and watches are often a topic of conversation, along with football. He enjoys having company at his house to hang out with and enjoys some low-key outings.