Home and Community-based Services (HCS) Program
The Home and Community-based Services (HCS) program at Ability Connection (AC) provides the help and support necessary for individuals with intellectual or developmental disabilities to live as independently as possible in their own homes, with family, a paid companion care provider or in small group home settings in the community.
Our HCS team works with each individual and family, focusing on client choice and autonomy, to ensure his or her needs are met and coordinates a variety of services to ensure individuals with disabilities are able to live autonomously.
HCS participants have an array of services to support independence in community life, such as:
- Residential services
- Group home
- Host home/ companion care
- Respite services
- Day habilitation
- Employment services
- Nursing services
- Dental services
- Behavioral support
- Supported home living (transportation)
- Social work
- Occupational therapy
- Physical therapy
- Speech therapy
- Dietary services
- Audiology services
- Cognitive rehabilitation services (services for people with brain injury)
- Accessible minor home modifications
- Adaptive aids
- Transition assistance services
The HCS provider can also provide personal assistance services, habilitation or emergency response services through the Community First Choice (CFC) program to individuals who live in their own home or family home. Individuals can also receive unlimited prescriptions through the Medicaid Vendor Drug Program.
The HCS program is overseen by the Texas Department of Health and Human Services (TXHHS).
To be eligible for the HCS program:
- Guidelines for eligibility are here https://hhs.texas.gov/sites/default/files/documents/doing-business-with-hhs/providers/long-term-care/hcs/what-is-hcs.pdf
- Individuals must have a diagnosis of an intellectual disability or related condition and qualify for Medicaid.
- Enrollment for the HCS program is overseen by Local IDD Authority (LIDDA) To find the LIDDA in your county, please call 211 for assistance or go to this link https://apps.hhs.texas.gov/contact/search.cfm If you are not currently on the interest list, please contact your LIDDA.