Ability Connection, a 67 year-old 501 c3 nonprofit, serves over 700 people with all types of intellectual or other developmental disabilities across Texas.
Our Core Values of Compassion, Respect and Results drives us to provide world class services for our members and their families with an individualized focus on each person’s ability and the belief in each individual’s potential.
Through our “one person” focus, we learn what priorities individuals and families want and we work diligently to address those choices and goals.
Our services and supports include physical and occupational therapy, adult day habilitation, assistive technology, transportation, residential care, information and referral, case management and in-home support to our members and their families.
- 1986 UCP/Ability Connection opened our first residential group home.
- 1991 our second residential group home was opened.
- 1992, UCP/Ability Connection received a Texas Department of Human Services contract for the Community Living Assistance Support Services (CLASS) program.
- 1994 UCP/Ability Connection began working with the Texas Rehabilitation Commission for Employment Services.
- 1996 when we built the current Headquarters/Main Campus at 8802 Harry Hines Boulevard.
- 1997 we received a contract to become a provider of Home and Community Based Services (HCS).
- 1998 saw the addition of our third group homes
- 2000 we expanded the CLASS (Community Living & Support Services) program to East Texas and opened a field office.
- In 2006 we were chosen as an official demonstration site for the Texas Technology Access project of The Texas Center for Disability Studies at the University of Texas at Austin. This designation provided cutting edge applications to build greater independence through the use of technology.
- 2007 ushered in the addition of our fourth residential group home
- 2008 saw the addition of the fifth and sixth group homes
- Our seventh group home located in Richardson was added in 2010
- In 2011, UCP officially changed its name to Ability Connection to better define the scope of the organization’s mission and to focus on the abilities of the people we serve. Although originally assisting only individuals with cerebral palsy, we now serve individuals with all types of physical, intellectual and developmental disabilities and their families throughout Texas. Ability Connection also added our seventh group home to our facilities.
- 2020-Ability Connection is proud to announce the launch of its newest program, Camp Connections (Summer, Care Giver Relief/Respite and Holiday School Programs) in 2021 which will double the amount of people served by our programs and provide services for 12-17 year olds with disabilities.
Today, through our experienced team of employees and volunteers, Ability Connection’s passion is to provide the highest quality of care and support to the community we serve. We empower individuals to live the best life possible by removing barriers that inhibit independence and autonomy. Our core values of Compassion, Respect and Results
Our members reflect our community. Our members are individuals with skills, passions, interests, humor, creativity, dignity and determination. Today, one in five people have a disability – which is why our organization and its services are so critical to the community.